Tuesday

Princess Mononoke



Princess Mononoke, directed by Hayao Miyazaki has by far with held my perception of how spectacular a anime film can be. This film is exceptionally original and brilliant in its picture aspect. Although a viewer may tend to sway from what the main idea of this film may be, by knowing the unique and creative character development, this film still captures amazing images and fighting scenes I’ve never witnessed from a anemia/cartoon before. Ashitaka, the main character of the film is thrown into a desperate situation of being the heroin by having to destroy the evil doings poisoning the forest. This film is quit confusing, for example, one of the beginning scenes a giant bore-like god attacks a village, Ashitaka then kills the evil demon creature, but in return is poisoned by the bore. After seeing this scene I was contemplating what just happened, there was no dialogue and a random creature has just attacked a town. However, as the film digs further into the plot, more and more random( but cool and creative) creatures are recognized, this is one example of why Miyazaki is such a great director. Ashitaka is perceived as being a true hero, you see examples of this by very creative and exhilarating camera angles and picture Miyazaki uses in many of the fight scenes. Pre-watching this movie I wasn't expecting there to be much violence because of the reputation I thought anime films had received, but after watching this film, I was intrigued by Miyazaki's use of violence in an art form way. All in all I very much enjoyed watching this film for a second time and recommend everyone to watch this truly amazing picture film.

1 comment:

rawr said...

Haha, surprised huh? What was your favorite scene though? I love when the forest spirit comes to heal Ashitaka, and for that brief first few seconds you see it's feet? I love how Miyazaki went all out showing how much real power over life and death the forest spirit had. I mean the freakin' flowers burst into bloom when it walks on the earth and they immediately wither, craziness.